If you’re looking for an alternative manicure to your regular nail polish, both acrylic and gel nails are a great option. If you’re wondering which ones would be best for you, here’s a simple guide detailing the difference and the benefits of each type.
Guide to Acrylic Nails & Gel Nails
What Are Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nails are essentially extensions of natural nails that are made of combined liquid and powder. Your natural nail bed is filed down, and this mixture is added on top using a brush for application. This mould is then shaped and filed into the desired nail shape and nail polish will then be applied to smooth surface. The nail polish application is the same as your usual manicure, painting a base coat, colour and then top coat, and dried using a fan.
- Acrylic nails are durable, so they will last longer up to 4 weeks
- Their durability means they are hard, sturdy, and resistant to damage.
- They provide a protective layer for the natural nails underneath
- Their smooth surface is great for applying nail art
- There is more choice as the client can choose the length of the nail
- They are cheaper due to their wide availability
What Are Gel Nails?
Gel nails are more similar to a classic nail polish manicure as there is no extension, just your natural nails. Their three-step process includes applying a gel base coat, then gel polish colour, then a gel top coat. In between each coat, the polish is cured by a UV or LED lamp for up to 2 minutes. Once cured, this layer of gel polish will harden, not smudge and result in an extra glossy finish.
- Gel nails dry quicker compared to regular nail polish
- They appear and feel natural with no risk of chipping
- There is no risk of damage to the nail bed
- No impression will be left on the natural nails
- They give a shiny, fresh look
- There are no unpleasant fumes during application
Nail Supplies from Hollywood Nails Supply
At Hollywood Nails Supply, no matter what kind of manicure you want, we have the supplies you need. From Acrylic Dipping Powders and Liquids to Gel Polishes and Lamps, we have everything you need to achieve the best manicure for you. Get shopping today!